Office of Disability Services
Please contact the Office of Disability Services should you have any questions.
Office of Disability Services
Law School Contact
Coordinator, Disability Services
Medical School Contact
Hilit F. Mechaber, MD, FACP
Assistant Dean for Student Services
Director, Office of Professional Development & Career Guidance
RMSB Room 2155B PO Box 016960 (R-128) Miami, FL 33101
The University of Miami, through the Office of Disability Services, has adopted a grievance procedure providing for prompt resolution of complaints by persons who believe they have been subjected to discrimination based upon their disability.
- All complaints must be directed to the University of Miami, Office of Disability Services, P.O. Box 249003, Coral Gables, Florida. 33124 and addressed to the Director of the Academic Resource Center.
- All complaints must be in writing and must contain the name and address of the complainant. In the grievance, the student or individual must set forth specific facts in support of his/her complaint. All grievances must be signed by the student or individual.
- All grievances must be filed within 90 days of the alleged discriminatory event. If the complaint involves the denial of a student's request for auxiliary aids and services or other modifications, the grievance must be filed within ten (10) days after the student receives notification that their request for auxiliary aids and services or other modifications has been denied. All additional documentation regarding your appeal must be submitted at the time of the individual's appeal request.
- The grievance will be reviewed and adjudicated by the Director of the Academic Resource Center, or her designee (the "Director"). In no event, will the designee be the same individual who made the initial determination as to the request for auxiliary aids, services, or other modifications or accommodations.
- An investigation, if deemed appropriate by the Director, will be conducted by the Director following receipt of the grievance. The Director may review information and documentation contained in a student's file and/or any other information an individual may submit in support of his/her grievance.
- Within twenty (20) days of the receipt of the grievance, the grieving party will receive a written decision from the Director.
- The decision of the Director of the Academic Resource Center shall be considered the final decision on the matter.
Retaliation against a person who files a grievance, or opposes a policy he/she believes to be discriminatory is prohibited.
Persons may contact the Assistant Director of Disability Services, who is responsible for coordinating the University of Miami's 504 compliance efforts at (305) 284- 2374 (P.O. Box 249003, Coral Gables, Florida, 33124), with any questions or concerns.
Individuals, who believe that they were subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability by the University of Miami , are encouraged to use the grievance procedure to resolve their concerns. Individuals may, however, wish to file a complaint directly with the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 61 Forsyth Street, Suite 19T70 , Atlanta , Georgia , 30303 (404) 562-6350.
Back To Top